2017 July Grand Sumo Tournament
2017 July Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
Newly Promoted OzekiTakayasu
- Takayasu has been promoted to Ozeki, the previous was Terunofuji who was promoted in 2015. He is the 24th newly promoted Ozeki in the Heisei Era.
- He is the fourth Rikishi from Ibaraki reaching this rank. The previous one had been Kisenosato who was promoted in January 2012.
- Taking 73 tournaments to reach this promotion is the 9th slowest in history.
- Tamawashi stays Sekiwake for the 4th, and in the Sanyaku Ranks for the 5th consecutive tournament.
Newly Promoted SekiwakeMitakeumi
- Mitakeumi is the first Rikishi from Dewanoumi Beya to reach the Sekiwake rank since Dewanohana in March 1982.
- He is the also the first Rikishi from Nagano Prefecture in a long time, the previous one hand been Takanobori in the Spring Tournament (January) of 1933.
- Of Rikishi who were successful in Amateur Sumo as students, Mitakeumi is the 25th to achieve this after Shodai in January this year. He is the second former student of Toyo University after Tamanoshima in January 2004.
- Kotoshogiku has been demoted to Komusubi, the rank he previously held in May 2010. He is in Sanyaku for 3 consecutive tournaments.
- Sadanoumi is back in Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Nishikigi has returned to in Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Chiyomaru has returned to Makuuchi after 13 tournaments since May 2015.
- Gagamaru has returned to Makuuchi after 3 tournaments since January.
＊ For the first time since May 2015 there had been no Rikishi newly promoted to Makuuchi.
- Tobizaru is the 12th Rikishi from Oitekaze Beya to make his Komusubi debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 10th of October 1998. The previous one was Daiamami in this year's January Grand Sumo Tournament.
- He is the 48 Rikishi post WWII from Tokyo Prefecture following Tsurugisho, who had been promoted in January of last year.
- Of Rikishi who were successful in Amateur Sumo as students, Tobizaru is the 122nd to achieve this after Asanoyama in March of this year. He is the 49th former student of Nihon University after Daiamami.
- He is following into the footsteps of his elder brother Hidenoumi, who also reached Juryo. This is the birth of the 18th sibling duo being active Sekitori. The previous one had been Chiyomaru and Chiyootori in September 2013.
- Abi returns to Juryo after 9 tournaments since September 2015.