2019 March Grand Sumo Tournament
2019 March Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
* 2 Yokozuna for the first time since March 2014.
- Tochinoshin is Ozeki Kadoban again after September last year.
- Takakeisho stays at the Sekiwake rank which also means being in Sanyaku for the 4th consecutive tournament.
- Tamawashi also stays at the Sekiwake rank and is in Sanyaku for 2 tournaments in a row.
- Mitakeumi stays Komusubi and now holds the 5th rank by staying in Sanyaku for 13 consecutive tournaments since Showa Era.
- Hokutofuji is the 4th Rikishi from Hakkaku Beya to make his Komusubi debut since the present Shisho has founded it. He follows Kaiho, Hokutoriki and Okinoumi who was promoted in May of 2013.
- He is the 3rd Rikishi post WWII from Saitama Prefecture, following Wakabayama and Wakachichibu who had been promoted in March 1959.
- Furthermore, he is the 46th Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach Komusubi, the previous one had been Endo in the May tournament last year.
- Additionally, he is the 5th Rikishi former student of Nippon Sport Science University following Kakizoe, Myogiryu, Yoshikaze and the most recent Chiyotairyu who had been promoted in September 2014.
- Tomokaze is the 7th Rikishi from Oguruma Beya to make his Makuuchi debut since the present Shisho has founded it. He follows Yago who had been promoted in the last tournament.
- He is the 9th Rikishi post WWII from Kanagawa Prefecture, following Asanosho, who had been promoted in March 1995.
- He is the 94th Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach Makuuchi following Yago and the 7th former student of Nippon Sport Science University, following Hokutofuji, who had been promoted in November 2016.
- Taking only 11 tournaments since his Sumo debut, Tomokaze ties the 4th rank in speed.
- Terutsuyoshi is the first Rikishi from Isegahamabeya since Terunofuji in March 2014 to reach Makuuchi.
- He is the 25th Rikishi from Hyogo Prefecture post WWII, the previous one had been Takakeisho, promoted in January of 2017.
- Daishoho is the 8th Rikishi from Oitekaze Beya to reach Makuuchi since the present Shisho has founded it. The previous one had been Daiamami who was promoted in November 2017.
- With Chiyoshoma promoted in September 2017 being the previous one, Daishoho is the 48th foreign born and 25th Mongolian Rikishi to achieve this.
* The last time more than 3 Rikishi made their Makuuchi debut at the same time had been in the May tournament of 2013 with 4 promotions at a time.
- Toyonoshima returns to Makuuchi he was demoted from in July 2016 after 16 tournaments.
- He is the 3rd Rikishi with Sekiwake experience returning after being demoted as far as Makushita since Showa Era. The previous two had been Kotokaze and Ho'o in the November tournament of 1988.
- Ishiura returns to Makuuchi he was demoted from in September, after 3 tournaments.
- Wakamotoharu is the 3rd Rikishi from Arashio Beya to reach Juryo since the present Shisho has founded it. The two previous ones had been Sokokurai and Wakatakakage, who was promoted in May last year.
- He is the 12th Rikishi Post WWII from Fukushima Prefecture to achieve this, following previously mentioned Wakatakakage, who is his younger brother.
- They are the 20th pair of siblings making in history to become Sekitori. The previous pair had been Takayoshitoshi (current Takanofuji) and Takagenji in March of last year.
- Kiribayama is the first Rikishi from Michinoku Beya to reach Juryo since Kirinowaka in January of 2008.
- He is the 67th foreign born as well as 34th Mongolian Rikishi to achieve this, the previous one had been Mitoryu promoted in January 2018.
- Takanofuji returns to Juryo after 6 tournaments. He previously held the rank in March last year.
- Daiseido returns to Juryo after 8 tournaments. He previously held the rank in November 2017.