2017 September Grand Sumo Tournament:12th Day
2017 September Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
- Once again after the May Grand Sumo Tournament 2017 and personally for the 6th time, Goeido is Ozeki Kadoban and faces a possible demotion.
- Once again after the March Grand Sumo Tournament 2017 and personally for the 5th time, Terunofuji is Ozeki Kadoban and faces a possible demotion.
< Goeido & Terunofuji >
- After Goeido in May, this means that both are Ozeki Kadoban no.141 and 142 since the July tournament 1969.
- For the 17th time since the July Tournament 1969 we have 2 Ozeki being Kadoban at the same time. Previously it was Goeido and Kotoshogiku exactly one year ago.
- Mitakeumi holds the Sekiwake Rank for the 2nd tournament in a row and stays in Sanyaku for the 4th.
- Yoshikaze has been re-promoted to Sekiwake after 9 tournaments, the rank he has previously held in March 2016. He is in Sanyaku for the 3rd consecutive time.
- Being 35 years and 5 months of age, this is the 5th oldest promotion to Sekiwake post WWII.
- Tamawashi is demoted to the Komusubi Rank after 5 tournaments. He is in Sanyaku for the 6th consecutive time.
- Tochiozan is re-promoted to the Komusubi Rank after 6 tournaments.
- Holding this rank for 14 tournaments in all makes him tie the 3rd position since Showa period.
- He is the first Rikishi from Takasago Beya to be promoted since Asasekiryu in March 2003.
- Asanoyama is the 5th Rikishi from Toyama Prefecture post WWII, following Komafudo's promotion in September 1989, the previous active Makuuchi Rikishi being Kotogaume in January 1995.
- Asanoyama is the 9th former student of Kindai University as well as the 91st former Japanese student sumo amateur following Yutakayama promoted in May of this year.
- He is the 2nd ever Sandanme Tsukedashi following the previosly mentioned Yutakayama.
- Kaisei returns after 2 tournaments.
- Yutakayama returns after 2 tournaments.
- Yago is the 9th Rikishi from Oguruma Beya to make his Juryo debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 23rd of March 1987. The previous one was Amakaze in the March Grand Sumo Tournament 2015.
- He is the 77th Rikishi post WWII from Hokkaido Prefecture following Kyokutaisei, who had been promoted in July 2014.
- He is the 8th former student of Chuo University after Kaido promoted in May 2003. Of Rikishi who were successful in Amateur Sumo as students, Yago is the 123rd to achieve this after Tobizaru in the previous tournament.
- For a Makushita Tsukedashi taking only 2 tournaments until reaching Juyo, Yago has tied the first rank.
- Daiseido is the 11th Rikishi from Kise Beya to make his Juryo Debut since the present Shisho founded it on the first of December 2003. The previous one was Shimaoumi in July 2016.
- He is the 64th Rikishi from Aomori Prefecture to be promoted toJuryo post WWII, the previous one was Onosho.
- Kitaharima returns after 3 basho. He previously had been in Juryou this March.
- Kizenryu returns after 4 basho. He previously had been in Juryo this January.
< Kitaharima & Kizenryu >
- Both tie the 2nd rank in history by being promoted to Juryo for the 7th time each.