2018 January Grand Sumo Tournament
2018 January Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
- With 63 tournaments as active Yokozuna, Hakuho has tied the record of Kitanoumi.
- Mitakeumi stays Sekiwake for the 4th tournament in a row, and in Sanyaku for the 6th.
- Tamawashi is back in the Sekiwake-rank again for the first time since July 2017, that means after 3 tournaments. He is in Sanyaku for the 2nd time in a row.
- Takakeisho is the first Rikishi from Takanohana Beya to make his Komusubi debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 1st of February 2004.
- He is the 10th Rikishi from Hyogo Prefecture to achieve this post WWII, following Myogiryu, who had been promoted in July 2012.
- Onosho stayed the Komusubi-rank and is now in Sanyaku for the second consecutive tournament.
- Abi is the 3rd Rikishi from Shikoroyama Beya to make his Makuuchi debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 27th of January 2004. The previous had been Seiro in the July tournament of 2015.
- He is the 11th Rikishi post WWII from Saitama Prefecture, following Hokutofuji who had been promoted in November 2016.
- Ryuden is the second Rikishi from Takadagawa Beya to make his Makuuchi debut since the present Shisho has inherited it on the 5th of August 2009. The previous one had been Kagayaki January 2016.
- He is the 7th Rikishi post WWII from Yamanashi Prefecture, following Onohana who had been promoted in March 1988.
- Concerning former Sekitori making their Makuuchi debut after falling all the way back to Jonokuchi, Ryuden is the second Rikishi to achieve this. The first one had been Kotobeppu in November 1992.
- Sokokurai returns to Makuuchi for the first time since July of 2017. It took him 3 tournaments.
- Yutakayama returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Ishiura returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Mitoryu is the first Rikishi from Nishikido Beya to make his Juryo debut since it's foundation on the first of December 2002.
- He is the 33rd Mongolian to achieve this, the previous one had been Daishoho in November 2016.
- Additionally, he is the 50th former student of Nihon University, following Tobizaru, who had been promoted in July 2017.
- Moreover, he is the 124th Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach Juryo since Yago in September 2017.
- Akua is the fifth Rikishi from Tatsunami Beya to make his Juryo debut since the present Shisho has inherited it on the 22nd of February 1999. The previous one had been Rikishin one year ago.
- He is the 21st Rikishi post WWII from Ibaraki Prefecture, following Takayasu who had been promoted in November 2010.
- Tochihiryu returns to Juryo after 18 tournaments. A rank he previously held in January 2015.
- Daishoho returns to Juryo after 7 tournaments. A rank he previously held in November 2016.
- Kizenryu returns to Juryo after 2 tournaments.
- Being promoted to Juryo for the 8th time, he ties the record of most promotions in history.