2018 May Grand Sumo Tournament
2018 May Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
- Tochinoshin remains at the Sekiwake-rank as well as in Sanyaku for the second consecutive tournament.
- Ichinojo returns to the Sekiwake-rank he previously held in July 2015 after 17 tournaments. He remains in Sanyaku for the second tournament in a row.
- Mitakeumi has been demoted to Komusubi, the rank he previously held in May 2017 after 6 tournaments. He remains in Sanyaku for 8 tournaments.
- Endo is the 3rd Rikishi from Oitekaze Beya to make his Komusubi debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 1st of October 1998. The previous ones had been Hayateumi and Kokkai, who had been in the September tournament of 2006.
- He is the 5th Rikishi post WWII from Ishikawa Prefecture, following Dejima and Tochinonada, both promoted in November of 1997.
- Additionally he is the 45th Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach the Sanyaku-ranks, the previous one being Shodai in January 2017. Moreover, he is the 17th former student of Nihon University following Jokoryu who had been promoted in September 2014.
- Kyokutaisei is the first Rikishi from Tomozuna Beya to reach Makuuchi since the current Shisho has inherited it on 11th of June 2017. He follows Asahisho who was promoted in September 2012 under the previous Shisho.
- He is the 51st Rikishi post WWII from Hokkaido, following Tatsuhikari who had been promoted in January of 1992. Moreover, he is the first Rikishi from Hokkaido to be in Makuuchi since the demotion of Kitakachidoki in May of 1998.
- Makuuchi Return Sadanoumi Sadanoumi returns to Makuuchi he was demoted from in September 2017 after 4 tournaments.
- Takekaze returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments. At 38 years and 10 months of age, he is the second oldest Rikishi to achieve this since Showa Era.
- Aminishiki returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments. At exactly 39 years and 6 months of age, he is the oldest ever Rikishi to achieve this since Showa Era, tying his own, previously set record.
- Hakuyozan is the first Rikishi from Takadagawa Beya to reach Juryo since the current Shisho has inherited it on 5th of August 2009. The previous ones had been Ryuden and Kagayaki, who had been November 2014.
- He is the 18th Rikishi post WWII from Yamagata Prefecture, following Hokutokuni who had been promoted in March of 2008.
- Wakatakakage is the 2nd Rikishi from Arashio Beya to make his Juryo debut since the present Shisho founded it on the 1st of June 2002. The previous had been Sokokurai in the January tournament of 2010.
- He is the 11th Rikishi post WWII from Fukushima Prefecture, following Sotairyu who had been promoted in September of 2009.
- Additionally he is the 126th Rikishi successful in amateur Sumo as a student to reach the Juryo, the previous one being Enho in the last tournament. Moreover, he is the 10th former student of Toyo University following Mitakeumi who had been promoted in July 2015.
- He is the 3rd Rikishi to reach Juryo after a debut as Sandanme Tsukedashi, the previous ones being Oyanagi (current Yutakayama) and Asanoyama, who had been promoted in March of 2017.
- Asabenkei returns to Juryo he was demoted from in September 2016 after 10 tournaments.